H.265/HEVC is the most recent standardized video compression technology. It has been developed by the Joint Collaborative Team on Video Coding (JCT-VC) of the ITU-T Visual Coding Experts Group (VCEG) and the ISO/IEC Moving Pictures Experts Group (MPEG). The Joint Collaborative Team on 3D Video Coding Extension Development (JCT-3V) was established to work on multiview and 3D video coding extensions of HEVC.
The work on H.265/HEVC was split into the following overlapping phases.
- Phase 1: First version of H.265/HEVC:
Specification of the Main, Main 10, and Main Still Picture profiles,
April 2010 – April 2013.
- Phase 2: Format Range Extension (RExt):
Specification of the Format Range Extension profiles,
July 2012 – October 2014.
- Phase 3: Scalability Extension (SHVC):
Specification of the Scalable Main and Scalable Main 10 profiles,
October 2012 – October 2014.
- Phase 4: Multiview Extension (MV-HEVC):
Specification of the Multiview Main profile,
July 2012 – October 2014.
- Phase 5: 3D Extension (3D-HEVC):
Specification of the 3D Main profile,
July 2012 – February 2015.
- Phase 6: Screen Content Coding Extension (SCC):
Ongoing, expected to be finalized in February 2016.
NOTE — More information on H.265/HEVC and the different extensions can be found on the HEVC support site.
Contributions of the Image & Video Coding Group
The Image & Video Coding Group contributed several essential coding tools and technologies to the H.265/HEVC standard, as listed below. Some of the contributions were developed in cooperation with the Multimedia Communication Group and the former 3D Coding Group.
In phase 1 (first version of H.265/HEVC) we contributed:
- Generic quadtree-based concept for block partitioning
- Residual quadtree for transform blocks
- Interpolation for motion compensated prediction
- Block merging for quadtree-based block partitioning
- Optimized transform coefficient level coding for CABAC
- Dependent slices for wavefront parallel processing
In phase 2 (RExt) we contributed:
- Cross-component prediction for in-loop color space conversion
In phase 3 (SHVC) we proposed:
- Scalable video coding extension of HEVC, using block-level coding tools and multi-loop decoding
In phase 4 (MV-HEVC) we contributed:
- Initial high-level syntax design
In phase 5 (3D-HEVC) we contributed:
- The first model for 3D-HEVC
- Geometry-based depth coding (wedgelet intra and contour inter-component prediction modes with residual adaptation)
- Synthesized view distortion for depth encoder control
- Concept of inter-view motion data prediction for dependent video views
- Concept of motion parameter inheritance for depth
The Image & Video Coding Group has been involved in the administration of the JCT-VC and JCT-3V standardization in various ways:
- Benjamin Bross has been appointed as Editor for the JCT-VC project (phase 1).
- Thomas Wiegand has been appointed as Co-Editor for the JCT-VC project (phase 1).
- Gerhard Tech has been appointed as Editor for the JCT-3V project (phases 4 and 5) and as Coordinator for the HTM reference software.
- Karsten Sühring has been appointed as Coordinator for the HM reference software.
- G.J. Sullivan, J. Ohm, Woo-Jin Han, T. Wiegand, T., "Overview of the High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) Standard", in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol.22, no.12, pp.1649-1668, Dec. 2012.
- D. Flynn, D. Marpe, M. Naccari, T. Nguyen, C. Rosewarne, K. Sharman, J. Sole, J. Xu, "Overview of the Range Extensions for the HEVC Standard: Tools, Profiles and Performance", IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 26, issue 1, pp. 4-19, January 2016, doi: 10.1109/TCSVT.2015.2478707.
- J.M. Boyce, Y. Ye, J. Chen, A.K. Ramasubramonian, "Overview of SHVC: Scalable Extensions of the High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) Standard", IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 26, issue 1, pp. 20-34, January 2016.
- G. Tech, Y. Chen, K. Müller, J.-R. Ohm, A. Vetro, Y.-K. Wang, "Overview of the Multiview and 3D Extensions of High Efficiency Video Coding", IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 35-49, January 2016, doi: 10.1109/TCSVT.2015.2477935.
- J. Xu, r. Joshi, R.A. Cohen, "Overview of the Emerging HEVC Screen Content Coding Extension", IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 26, issue 1, pp. 50-62, January 2016.
- H.265/ HEVC Standard.
- HM Reference Software.
- SHM Reference Software.
- HTM Reference Software.