SmartCareUnit Leitwarte - Subproject Proxemic Monitor
SCU Leitwarte is a joint research project funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy within the SmartCareUnit ZIM-Network.
Duration: September 2014 – February 2017
Smart Care Control Room for intensive care units
Project "Leitwarte" is focused on the development of solutions for an innovative control room on intensive care units with the following features:
- OEM-independent exchange of medical device and laboratory data as well as data from the hospital IT (HIS)
- Combination and fusion of heterogeneous data (measurement data, text, images, videos) from various sources
- Intelligent alerting and decision support (including traffic light system)
- Adaptive data visualization
- Contact-free human-computer interaction
- Secure documentation and archiving with data protection
Subproject Proxemic Monitor: contact-free controls for adaptive information presentation and interaction
Fraunhofer HHI is responsible for the subproject Proxemic Monitor. Based on the extensive experience of the Vision & Imaging Technologies department in the field of contact-free human-computer interaction and computer vision, a touchless control for user-adaptive image data visualization will be developed.
Proxemic Monitor objectives
- Improve hygiene for an intensive care unit (ICU) master display.
- Increasing usability/user experience
- Adaptive information presentation and user interfaces depending on the user role and relation to the display (proxemic interaction).
- Detection of a user and his position and orientation
- Detection and interpretation of hand gestures
- Implementation of a multimodal user interface (proximity, hand gestures, head gestures, voice controls, touch, mouse & keyboard)
- Development of a suitable UI for contact-free interaction
- Context aware, adaptive visualization of relevant data
Leitwarte project consortium
- Cubeoffice GmbH
- G.punkt medical services
- Dr. Hornecker Softwareentwicklung und IT-Dienstleistungen
- Yacoub Automation GmbH
- Fraunhofer Institut für Nachrichtentechnik, Heinrich-Hertz-Institut
- Universitätsklinik Aachen
Demonstration: Proxemic Bedside Monitor