Bernd Holfeld is a project manager and research associate at the Signal and Information Processing (SIP) group in the Wireless Communications and Networks department.
His R&D activities are related to 4G/5G research in the context of industrial wireless systems. Currently, his focus is on reliable low-latency communications. Besides, Bernd is an expert on radio resource allocation techniques and interference management for cellular networks and device-to-device communication. His scientific interests cover self-organized approaches for radio resource optimization and device coordination inspired by matching theory as well as game theory.
For further details about his activities please check the subsections below.
Bernd Holfeld joined the Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute in 2012. He has been with the Software Defined Radio (SDR) group from 2012 to 2016. Since then, he has been working as a project manager in the Signal and Information Processing (SIP) group, driving the 5G research in the area of industrial wireless communications.
Bernd has been involved in a number of federally and EU-funded research projects (e.g. EU-FP7 ABSOLUTE, BMBF CoMoRa, BMBF KoI, BMWi IC4F), as well as in industrial projects with national and international partners. He has repeatedly acted as a project or work package leader.
Bernd received the Dipl.-Ing. (M.Sc.) degree in Electrical Engineering from Technische Universität Dresden in 2012. During his studies, he spent periods abroad at Chalmers University of Technology (Gothenburg, Sweden) and at National Chiao Tung University (Hsinchu, Taiwan) as a DAAD scholar. In 2010, he was a visiting researcher at the Institute for Telecommunications Research at UniSA in Adelaide, Australia. Currently, Bernd is working towards his PhD degree in cooperation with Professor Eduard Jorswieck from Technische Universität Dresden.
Publications and Patents
Publications and Patents
- (co-)author of 20+ scientific papers
- 7 patents and patent applications
Journals & Conference Proceedings
- J. Pilz, B. Holfeld, A. Schmidt, K. Septinus: Professional Live Audio Production: A Highly Synchronized Use Case for 5G URLLC Systems, IEEE Network, April 2018.
- P. Engelhard, B. Holfeld, J. Schulz-Zander, M. Oberle: Software-Defined Networking in an Industrial Multi-Radio Access Technology Environment, in Proceedings of ACM Symposium in SDN Research (SOSR’18), Los Angeles/CA, USA, March 2018.
- S. Ashraf, Y.P.E. Wang, S. Eldessoki, B. Holfeld, D. Parruca, M. Serror, J. Gross: From Radio Design to System Evaluations for Ultra-Reliable and Low-Latency Communication, in Proceedings of European Wireless Conference, Dresden, Germany, May 2017.
- I. Aktas, J. Ansari, S. Auroux, D. Parruca, M.D.P. Guirao, B. Holfeld: A Coordination Architecture for Wireless Industrial Automation, in Proceedings of European Wireless Conference, Dresden, Germany, May 2017.
- S. Eldessoki, D. Wieruch, B. Holfeld: Impact of Waveforms on Coexistence of Mixed Numerologies in 5G URLLC Networks, in Proceedings of ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas (WSA), Berlin, Germany, March 2017.
- T. Wirth, M. Mehlhose, J. Pilz, B. Holfeld, D. Wieruch: 5G New Radio and ultra low latency applications: A PHY implementation perspective, in Proceedings of Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, Pacific Grove/CA, USA, Nov. 2016.
- T. Wirth, D. Wieruch, B. Holfeld, M. Mehlhose, J. Pilz, T. Haustein, R. Halfmann, K.-J. Friederichs: Real-time demonstration of optimized spectrum usage with LSA carrier aggregation, De Gruyter Frequenz, June 2016.
- B. Holfeld, D. Wieruch, T. Wirth, L. Thiele, S.A. Ashraf, J. Huschke, I. Aktas, J. Ansari: Wireless Communication for Factory Automation: An Opportunity for LTE and 5G Systems, IEEE Communications Magazine, June 2016.
- J. Pilz, M. Mehlhose, T. Wirth, D. Wieruch, B. Holfeld, T. Haustein: A Tactile Internet Demonstration: 1ms Ultra Low Delay for Wireless Communications towards 5G, in Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM, San Francisco/CA, USA, April 2016.
- B. Holfeld, D. Wieruch, L. Raschkowski, T. Wirth, C. Pallasch, W. Herfs, C. Brecher: Radio Channel Characterization at 5.85 GHz for Wireless M2M Communication of Industrial Robots, in Proceedings of IEEE WCNC, Doha, Qatar, April 2016.
- D. Wieruch, B. Holfeld, T. Wirth: Wireless Factory Automation: Channel Evolution in Repeated Manufacturing Processes, in Proceedings of ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas (WSA), Munich, Germany, March 2016.
- B. Holfeld, E. Jorswieck: On Stable Many-to-Many Matching for Distributed Medium Access with Reuse of Spectral Resources, in Proceedings of ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas (WSA), Munich, Germany, March 2016.
- R. Mochaourab, B. Holfeld, T. Wirth: Distributed Channel Assignment in Cognitive Radio Networks: Stable Matching and Walrasian Equilibrium, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, March 2015.
- B. Holfeld, S. Jaeckel, L. Thiele, T. Wirth: Smart Grid Communications: LTE Outdoor Field Trials at 450 MHz, in Proceedings of IEEE VTC’15 Spring, Glasgow, UK, May 2015.
- B. Holfeld, T. Jaeuthe, T. Wirth: Resource Sharing with Minimum QoS Requirements for D2D Links underlaying Cellular Networks, in Proceedings of IEEE VTC’15 Spring, Glasgow, UK, May 2015.
- T. Wirth, M. Mehlhose, J. Pilz, R. Lindstedt, D. Wieruch, B. Holfeld, T. Haustein: An Advanced Hardware Platform to verify 5G Wireless Communication Concepts, 5G New Air Interface Workshop at IEEE VTC’15 Spring, Glasgow, UK, May 2015.
- B. Holfeld, A. Relitz, T. Wirth, E. Jorswieck: Joint Multicell Subchannel Assignment with Interference Control and Resource Fairness in Multiband OFDMA Cellular Networks, in Proceedings of IEEE DySPAN‘14, McLean/VA, USA, April 2014.
- T. Wirth, B. Holfeld, D. Wieruch, R. Halfmann, K.-J. Friederichs: System Level Performance of Cellular Networks utilizing ASA/LSA Mechanisms, in Proceedings of IEEE Workshop on Cognitive Cellular Systems (CCS’14), Rhine River, Germany, Sept. 2014.
- B. Holfeld, R. Mochaourab, T. Wirth: Stable Matching for Adaptive Cross-Layer Scheduling in the LTE Downlink, in Proceedings of VTC’13 Spring, Dresden, Germany, June 2013. (Best Paper Award)
- T. Wirth, Y. Sánchez, B. Holfeld, T. Schierl: Advanced Downlink LTE Radio Resource Management for HTTP-Streaming, in Proceedings of ACM Multimedia’12 Conference, Nara, Japan, Oct. 2012.
- Best Paper Award to B. Holfeld, R. Mochaourab, T. Wirth for their paper “Stable Matching for Adaptive Cross-Layer Scheduling in the LTE Downlink” at IEEE VTC Spring, June 2013.
- Cognitive Mobile Radio (CoMoRa): 03/2012 – 12/2014, 8 project partners, BMBF funding
- Koordinierte Industriekommunikation (KoI): 01/2015 – 12/2017, 7 project partners, BMBF funding
- Industrial Communication for Factories (IC4F): 03/2017 – 06/2020, 15 project partners, BMWi funding
- Flexible Wireless Machine-to-Machine Communication in Industrial Environments (FleMMingo): 01/2015 – 05/2018, 5 project partners, Fraunhofer funding
- Digital Tools and Workflow Integration for Building Lifecycles (digitalTWIN): 03/2018 – 02/2021, 6 project partners, BMWi funding