Martin Kurras is deputy head and researcher at the System Level Innovations Group in the Wireless Communications and Networks department. His R&D activities are related to the following keywords: Massive MIMO, Multi-User Precoding, direction of arrival (DoA) estimation, positioning, localization, beamforming, precoding and interference management, system level simulations. For further details about his activities, please check the subsections below.
Martin Kurras is a communications engineer and works at Fraunhofer HHI since 2009, where he represents the areas of system-level simulations for wireless communications networks and positioning/localization based on DoA estimation. As project manager and deputy head of the group he drives R&D activities and develops and manages projects either bilateral with international industry partners, e.g. in Japan, China, Europe, or in EU consortiums, or in national funded projects.
Martin Kurras is an expert in the fields of physical layer MIMO signal processing, DoA estimation and system design of wireless communications networks. His R&D focus is currently on interference management and integration of massive MIMO in cellular networks.
Two of his current projects are:
1. EU project “One5G”, which stands for “E2E-aware Optimizations and advancements for Network Edge of 5G New Radio”, where he is leading task 4.2 on the topic of “Massive MIMO enablers towards practical implementation”,
2. National BMBF funded project “MIDRAS” which stands for “Micro-drone defense system” on public safety with respect to unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), where he is working on the localization of UAVs with massive MIMO DoA estimation.
Martin Kurras received the Dipl.-Ing. degree in communications from Technische Universität Dresden, Germany in 2011. During his studies he was focused on theoretical information theory where he did his thesis on “Uplink SCFDMA for LTE/LTE-Advanced”. In addition to his academic studies he was working at the chair of radio frequency and photonics engineering on antenna design based on electromagnetic field simulations. He is currently working towards his PhD at the Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH) under the supervision of Prof. Gerhard Bauch on the topic of “Massive MIMO and Challenges in Cellular Deployments”
- Gábor Fodor, Nandana Rajatheva, Wolfgang Zirwas, Lars Thiele, Martin Kurras, Kaifeng Guo, Antti Tölli, Jesper H. Sorensen, Elisabeth de Carvalho, “An Overview of Massive MIMO Technology Components in METIS”, Accepted at IEEE Communications Magazine, published in Radio Communications, March 2017
- M. Shehata, M. Kurras, K. Hassan and L. Thiele, SHierarchical Precoding in a Realistic Ultradense Heterogeneous Environment Exceeding the Degrees of FreedomT, International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, vol. 2016, pp. 1-11, 2016
- L. Thiele, M. Kurras, M. Olbrich, and T. Haustein, ”Boosting 4G Networks with Spatial Interference Management Under Feedback Constraints : A Noncooperative Downlink Transmission Scheme,” Vehicular Technology Magazine, IEEE, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 40-48, Mar. 2013.
- M. Kurras, L. Thiele, X. Peng, and N. Ishii, “Direction of Arrival Based Positioning in Three Dimensional Coordinates,” in WSA 2017; 21th International ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas; Proceedings of, 2017, pp. 1–7.
- M. Kurras, L. Thiele, T. Haustein, W. Lei and C. Yan, “Full dimension MIMO for frequency division duplex under signaling and feedback constraints”, 2016 24th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO), pp. 1985-1989, Aug. 2016
- M. Kurras, L. Thiele, T. Haustein, X. Peng and M. Ariyoshi, “Complexity Reduction for Direction of Arrival Estimation with Massive MIMO”, 2016 IEEE 84rd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Fall), 2016
- H. Abbas, M. Shehata, K. Hassan, M. Kurras, and L. Thiele, “Millimeter-wave small-cells traffic off-loading with large-scale antenna arrays for UDN,” in 2016 International Conference on Selected Topics in Mobile Wireless Networking (MoWNeT), 2016, pp. 1–6.
- W. Zirwas, L. Thiele, M. Kurras and G. Wunder, “Flexible 5G below 6GHz Mobile Broadband Radio Air Interface”, 2016 IEEE 83rd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring), pp. 1-5, May. 2016
- T. Wirth, L. Thiele, M. Kurras, M. Mehlhose, and T. Haustein, “Massive MIMO Proof-of-Concept: Emulations and Hardware-Field Trials at 3.5 GHz,” in 2016 50th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, 2016.
- M. Kurras, S. Fahse and L. Thiele, ”Density Based User Clustering for Wireless Massive Connectivity Enabling Internet of Things”, 2015 IEEE Globecom Workshops (GC Wkshps), pp. 1-6, Dec. 2015 14. M. Kurras, S. Jaeckel, L. Thiele and V. Braun, ”CSI Compression and Feedback for Network MIMO”, Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring), 2015 IEEE 81st, pp. 1-5, May. 2015
- M. Kurras, L. Thiele and G. Caire, ”Interference Mitigation and Multiuser Multiplexing with Beam- Steering Antennas”, WSA 2015; 19th International ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas; Proceedings of, pp. 1-5, March. 2015
- M. Kurras, L. Thiele and G. Caire, ”Multi-stage beamforming for interference coordination in massive MIMO networks”, 2015 49th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, pp. 700-703, Nov. 2015
- M. Kurras, M. Shehata, K. Hassan and L. Thiele, ”Spatial interference management with hierarchical precoding in ultra-dense heterogeneous networks”, Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob), 2015 IEEE 11th International Conference on, pp. 520-526, Oct. 2015
- K. S. Hassan, M. Kurras and L. Thiele, ”Performance of distributed compressive sensing channel feedback in multi-user massive MIMO”, Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob), 2015 IEEE 11th International Conference on, pp. 430-436, Oct. 2015
- L. Thiele, M. Kurras, S. Jaeckel, S. Fähse and W. Zirwas, ”Interference-floor shaping for liquid coverage zones in coordinated 5G networks”, 2015 49th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, pp. 1102-1106, Nov. 2015
- M. Kurras, L. Thiele and T. Haustein, ”Interference aware massive SDMA with a large uniform rectangular antenna array”, Networks and Communications (EuCNC), 2014 European Conference on, pp. 1-5, June. 2014
- L. Thiele and M. Kurras, ”Hierarchical Precoding for Ultra-Dense Heterogeneous Networks”, Signals, Systems and Computers, 2014 Asilomar Conference on, Nov. 2014
- J. Dommel, M. Kurras and L. Thiele, ”Inter-cell interference-coordination for distributed MIMOsystems based on wideband precoder selection”, AFRICON, 2013, pp. 1-5, Sept. 2013 8. M. Kurras, L. Raschkowski, M. Talaat and L. Thiele, ”Massive SDMA with Large Scale Antenna Systems in a Multi-Cell Environment”, AFRICON, 2013
- L. Thiele, M. Kurras, K. Börner and T. Haustein, ”A system-level study on multi-user MIMO Transmission for dense FDD networks”, Signals, Systems and Computers, 2013 Asilomar Conference on, pp. 1885-1889, Nov. 2013
- L. Thiele, M. Kurras, M. Olbrich and K. Börner, ”On Feedback Requirements for CoMP Joint Transmission in the Quasi-Static User Regime”, Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring), 2013 IEEE 77th, pp. 1-5, Jun. 2013
- M. Butt, B. Schubert, M. Kurras, K. Börner, T. Haustein, and L. Thiele, ”On the energy-bandwidth trade-off in green wireless networks: System level results,” in Communications in China Workshops (ICCC), 1st IEEE International Conference on, Aug. 2012, pp. 91 -95.
- M. Kurras, K. Borner, L. Thiele, M. Olbrich, and T. Haustein, ”Achievable System Performance Gains Using Distributed Antenna Deployments,” in Personal Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), 2012 IEEE 23rd International Symposium on, Sep. 2012, pp. 143 -148.
- M. Kurras, L. Thiele and R. Mochaourab, ”From single- to multi-user scheduling in LTE-A uplink exploiting virtual MIMOT, Signals, Systems and Computers (ASILOMAR), 2012 Conference Record of the Forty Sixth Asilomar Conference on, pp. 1172-1176, Nov. 2012
- L. Thiele, M. Kurras, K. Börner and T. Haustein, ”User-Aided Sub-Clustering for CoMP Transmission: Feedback Overhead vs. Data Rate Trade-off”, Signals, Systems and Computers (ASILOMAR), Conference Record of the Forty Sixth Asilomar Conference on, Nov. 2012
- L. Thiele, M. Olbrich, M. Kurras, and B. Matthiesen, ”Channel aging effects in CoMP transmission: gains from linear channel prediction,” in Signals, Systems and Computers (ASILOMAR), Conference Record of the Forty Fifth Asilomar Conference on, Nov. 2011, pp. 1924 -1928.
- M. Jenning, M. Kurras, and D. Plettemeier, ”Waveguide to microstrip transition at 235 GHz,” in Antenna Technology (iWAT), International Workshop on, Mar. 2010, pp. 1 -4.
Books & Book Chapter
- Contributor to Chapter 9 in “5G Mobile and Wireless Communications Technology”, Cambridge University Press, 2016
- US20150156787A1, “User scheduling method, master base station, user equipment, and heterogeneous network”
- US20150326296A1, “Method and apparatus for providing generic hierarchical precoding codebooks”
- US20150311994A1, “User equipment and method for estimating an inter cell interference”
- US20170317795A1, “Precoding information obtaining method, and device”
- WO2017102037A1, “Data signal transmission in a wireless communication system with reduced end-to-end latency”
Supervised student theses
Supervised student theses
- Sebastian Fuchs, “An Approach of Improving Multi-Cell Channel Estimation of the LTE Standard”, Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin, Dipl.-Ing.(FH)
- Mostafa Talaat, “Space Division Multiple Access in Large Scale Antenna Systems”, German University in Cairo, Information and Engineering Technology Faculty, Bachelor Degree
- Stephan Fähse, “User Grouping and Beam-forming Using a Large Scale Antenna Array”, Technical University Berlin, Network Information Theory Chair, Dipl.-Ing.
- Mohamed Shehata, “Interference Alignment Precoding in a Heterogeneous Network with Inter Cell Interference”, German University in Cairo, Communications Engineering Department, Master Degree
- Aly Afifi, “Integration and Evaluation of a New Link-to-System Interface for 5G System Simulations”, German University in Cairo, Communications Engineering Department, Bachelor Degree
- Ibrahim Shady, “Massive MIMO with Signalling and Feedback Constraints in Frequency Division Duplex”, Kassel University, Communications Laboratory, Master degree