The newly established Institute Regulations and Rules of Procedure from fall 1955 redefined the office of Institute Director: From then on, the heads of department were able to elect the Director from within their own ranks and subsequently have the committee confirm their nominee. The duration of the term of office was set at two years.
The introduction of a co-operative management was a novelty at the Heinrich-Hertz-Institut. On October 14, 1955, a meeting of the committee adopted the new Institute Regulations and Rules of Procedure. One of the provisions regulated the newly defined office of the director of the institute. In accordance with §4, the heads of department elected the Director of the Institute from their own ranks. The committee then had to confirm the election. If no agreement could be reached, the board of directors retained the special right to appoint the director of the Institute. The term of office was limited to two years, but could be extended if necessary.
If the elected director was a member of the TU teaching staff at the time of his appointment, he was supposed to perform his duties on a self-employed basis. In addition to their salary, they received additional compensation, the amount of which was determined by the committee. Furthermore, there was a travel grant available for the incumbent.
One of the duties was “to ensure the uniform orientation of the scientific work.” The director of the Institute was intended to represent the institution to the outside world and to the committee of the funding association. In order to fulfill this task, he was entitled to be informed by the heads of departments about all matters concerning the Institute. All scientific reports that were to be published by the Institute had to be approved by the director of the Institute and the relevant head of department.