In 2018, the Institute celebrated its 90th anniversary. The Heinrich Hertz Institute was founded over a period of several months in the 1920s. Prof. Karl Willy Wagner took over as head of the newly founded Heinrich Hertz Institute for Oscillation Research on August 1, 1927. However, the formal establishment of the Institute was not complete until it received the seal of the Prussian Minister for Sciences, Arts and Public Education on February 23, 1928. In 2003, the Institute became part of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft.