KoI – Koordinierte Industriekommunikation – is a project funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). It deals with an innovative wireless communication solution for the industrial environment.
As the German government promotes its high-tech strategy “Industry 4.0”, the integration of modern information technology in industrial automation and production processes becomes the focus of attention. KoI is set to deliver concepts for wireless transmission with high flexibility, high robustness and low latency for the short-range links between machines. These wireless concepts will serve as complement or alternative to established wired communication solutions like CANbus, Profibus or Profinet.
The Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute will develop a real-time capable radio interface and novel PHY and MAC layer approaches in cooperation with the project partners. Among the study items are the characterization of the radio propagation environment of industrial device-to-device (D2D) links, the design of new waveforms and the development of latency-optimized algorithms for D2D channel estimation and monitoring. The integration of these mechanisms into protocols for multiuser medium access shall be achieved. Finally, we plan to realize a prototypical implementation of key functionalities of the PHY on a demonstration platform.
Beside the radio interface, the efficient and robust coordination of the radio resources is to be explored. Local wireless communication cells have to be integrated into existing cellular infrastructures like LTE: In this context, it is part of the KoI project to investigate smart resource and interference management as well as authentication and security mechanisms for the automation and production cells.
- Bernd Holfeld, Tobias Jaeuthe, Thomas Wirth, Resource Sharing with Minimum QoS Requirements for D2D Links underlaying Cellular Networks, IEEE VTC Spring 2015, Glasgow, May 2015.
- Thomas Wirth, Matthias Mehlhose, Jens Pilz et.al., An Advanced Hardware Platform to verify 5G Wireless Communication Concepts, Workshop on 5G New Air Interface, IEEE VTC Spring 2015, Glasgow, May 2015.
- Dennis Wieruch, Peter Jung, Thomas Wirth, Armin Dekorsy, On the Estimation of Unknown Resource Allocations by Expoiting Channel Sparsity, Workshop on Cognitive Radio for Fifth Generation Networks and Spectrum, ISWCS 2015, Brussels, Aug. 2015.
- Dennis Wieruch, Peter Jung, Thomas Wirth, Determining User Specific Spectrum Usage via Sparse Channel Characteristics, Asilomar Conference, Pacific Grove, Nov. 2015.
- Dennis Wieruch, Peter Jung, Carsten Bockelmann, Armin Dekorsy, Exploiting the Sparsity of Wireless Channels to Identify Non-Adjacent Spectrum Usage of Multiple Users, Matheon Conference on Compressed Sensing and its Applications, Berlin, Dec. 2015.
- Dennis Wieruch, Bernd Holfeld, Thomas Wirth, Wireless Factory Automation: Radio Channel Evolution in Repeated Manufacturing Processes, ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas (WSA), Munich, March 2016.
- Bernd Holfeld, Eduard Jorswieck, On Stable Many-to-Many Matching for Distributed Medium Access with Reuse of Spectral Resources, ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas (WSA), Munich, March 2016.
- Bernd Holfeld, Dennis Wieruch et.al., Radio Channel Characterization at 5.85 GHz for Wireless M2M Communication of Industrial Robots, IEEE WCNC, Doha, April 2016.
- Bernd Holfeld, Dennis Wieruch, Thomas Wirth, Lars Thiele, Shehzad Ali Ashraf, Jörg Huschke, Ismet Aktas and Junaid Ansari, Wireless Communication for Factory Automation: An Opportunity for LTE and 5G Systems, IEEE Communications Magazine, June 2016.
- Thomas Wirth, Matthias Mehlhose, Jens Pilz, Bernd Holfeld, Dennis Wieruch, 5G New Radio and Ultra Low Latency Applications: A PHY Implementation Perspective, Asilomar Conference, Pacific Grove, Nov. 2016.
- Sameh Eldessoki, Dennis Wieruch, Bernd Holfeld, Impact of Waveforms on Coexistence of Mixed Numerologies in 5G URLLC Networks, ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas (WSA), Berlin, March 2017.
- Shehzad A. Ashraf, Y.-P. Eric Wang, Sameh Eldessoki, Bernd Holfeld, Martin Serror, James Gross, From Radio Design to System Evaluations for Ultra-Reliable and Low-Latency Communication, European Wireless Conference, Dresden, May 2017.
- Ismet Aktas, Junaid Ansari, Sébastien Auroux, Donald Parruca, María Dolorez Pérez Guirao, Bernd Holfeld, A Coordination Architecture for Wireless Industrial Automation, European Wireless Conference, Dresden, May 2017.
- Jens Pilz, Matthias Mehlhose, Thomas Wirth, Dennis Wieruch, Bernd Holfeld, Thomas Haustein, A Tactile Internet Demonstration: 1ms Ultra Low Delay for Wireless Communications towards 5G, IEEE INFOCOM Live/Video Demonstratio, San Francisco, April 2016.