E2E-aware Optimizations and advancements for the Network Edge of 5G New Radio
Co-funded by European Commission, Information and Communication Technologies Call, H2020-ICT-2016-2017, Research and Innovation action
Duration: June 2017 – May 2019
Thirteen leading telecommunications innovators have joined forces to advance the development of new radio technologies for 5G (5G New Radio - 5G NR) driven by growing interest in mobile 5G applications based on fully standardized technology. The European research project ONE5G* focuses on boosting the capacity of mobile networks, improving their energy efficiency and enabling a variety of new vertical use cases in dense urban areas as well as in rural environments.
ONE5G has received funding from the European Commission under the EU’s “Horizon 2020” initiative to drive research that enables a swift move towards 5G NR and advance digitization.
Their focus is on:
- delivering advanced link enhancements beyond Release 15, including efficient multi-service access schemes, advanced massive MIMO enablers, and link management mechanisms
- researching and proposing highly generic performance optimization schemes for 5G, to achieve successful deployment and operation, including optimizations for both the network operator and the E2E user-experienced performance
- identifying the cost driving elements for the roll-out and operation and to propose adaptations to allow sustainable provision of wireless services everywhere
- validating the developed extensions and modifications through different approaches: analytically, by means of extensive simulations and with selected proof-of-concepts
- producing a high number of valuable publications, IPR and standardization contributions
Fraunhofer HHI is leading the task on “Massive MIMO enablers towards practical implementation” in workpackage 4 on “Multi-antenna access and link enhancement”. Besides this Fraunhofer HHI contributes in workpackage 4 to:
- Reliable schemes for short-packet transmission in massive MTC
- Non-orthogonal multiple access and code design, combining it with MIMO
- Sector and beam management with cylindrical arrays
- Cell-less system design
Furthermore, in work package 5 on “Proof of Concept and Trials”, Fraunhofer HHI provides the “Flexible Massive MIMO” testbed as one of the seven testbeds in the project where massive MIMO proof-of-concept demonstrations will be shown.
Background on Horizon 2020
Horizon 2020 is the biggest EU Research and Innovation programme ever with nearly €80 billion of funding available over 7 years (2014 to 2020) – in addition to the private investment that this money will attract. It promises more breakthroughs, discoveries and world-firsts by taking great ideas from the lab to the market.
Horizon 2020 is the financial instrument implementing the Innovation Union , a Europe 2020 flagship initiative securing Europe's global competitiveness.